1. To BREAK THE CYCLE OF GENERATIONAL POVERTY that forces young women into prostitution and or become prey to human traffickers.
2. To rescue, protect, and empower young victims of rape, prostitution, human trafficking, and abuse in India and elsewhere in the world.
Lighthouse For Women is committed to empower the lives of the most oppressed women and their children by focusing on these areas:
- Provide basic literacy (since most are illiterate) to the women and or vocational training.
- Educate daughters of victims and other girls in abject poverty (prevention).
- Provide jobs & small business opportunities for young women to make them financially independent.
- Facilitate and build an ecosystem of partners to enable the above three areas
ONGOING WORK SINCE 2009 IN CHENNAI, INDIA:
- Providing life and vocational skills (tailoring, basket-weaving) at a low security prison where prostitutes and human trafficked victims are housed.
- Supporting girls to start small busineses when possible and facilitating job placement; paying emergency rent / hospital / school fees for women and their children as needed.
- Teaching English to poor village children.