To break the cycle of generational poverty that deprives young women of opportunities and forces them into prostitution to support their families. We empower through education and vocational training that can potentially offer the victimized women an alternative means to financially become independent
Lighthouse For Women collaborates with like-minded organizations to break generational poverty and empower women.
- Provide basic literacy (since most are illiterate) to the women and or vocational training.
- Educate daughters of victims and other girls in abject poverty (prevention).
- Provide jobs & small business opportunities for young women to make them financially independent.
- Facilitate and build an ecosystem of partners to enable the above three areas
ONGOING WORK SINCE 2009 IN CHENNAI, INDIA:
- Providing life and vocational skills (tailoring, basket-weaving, cooking, and handicrafts) at a low security prison where prostitutes and human trafficked victims are housed.
- Supporting girls to start small busineses when possible and facilitating job placement; paying emergency rent / hospital / school fees for women and their children as needed.
- New Work from 2018: Lighthouse now works with other NGOs (Non Governmental Organizations) such as Praise Foundation, Candles, Justice and Hope, Karunyum, and Seva Chakkara Samaajam in Chennai, and provides free after school tuition program for English and Math, a medical doctor and medicines in the village of Ponmar, a counselor at the Govt Home, college fees for a few orphaned young women, etc., etc.